Thursday, November 19, 2015

Focusing on Habit 1: Be Proactive

Be Proactive means to take responsibility for your choices and behaviors. Habit 1 is the key to all of the other habits; that’s why it comes first. Be Proactive says, “I am in charge of my own life. I am responsible for whether I am happy or sad. I can choose how I react to other people or situations. I am in the driver’s seat.” Young children can easily learn to understand that different choices yield different results. The goal is to teach them to think about those results before they decide what to do.
Over the last two weeks GBDS teachers and students focused on the first habit. “What will you do in the moment of choice?” is an important question for all of us to consider. Our students and teachers hold discussions about focusing on taking care of ourselves and our things, reacting or not reacting to others’ behavior, planning ahead, and thinking about what the right thing to do is. Whenever a student recognizes a moment when they are using Habit 1, they write that moment down and post it on a bulletin board in the upstairs hallway. Children in Early Childhood are also writing down their proactive moments and displaying them in the Early Childhood hallway.